For my nephew’s mexican themed 1st Birthday next month, my sister asked me to make a Piñata Cake. Last weekend we baked a practice cake and were very happy with the result.
What do you think?
Here are my steps in how to make a Piñata Cake:
- Bake 4 cakes – I used this Gluten Free Butter Cake recipe and added purple food colouring gel to 2 of the cakes.
- Make up a large mixture of buttercream icing – I used this recipe.
- When the cakes are cooled cut a medium circle in the middle of 1 of each of the coloured cakes. I used a large cup.
- Spread some icing onto the bottom of a cake plate to hold the cake in place and put one of the full plain cakes on top of the icing.
- Spread icing around the edge of the cake, avoiding the centre and place the coloured cake with the hole cut out in the centre on top. Repeat this step with the remaining cake with the whole cut out.
- Fill the cake with your choice of lollies and chocolates. I used jelly beans and smarties.
- Spread icing on the top of the cake and place the remaining cake on top.
- Cover the entire cake evenly in icing.
- Separate the remaining icing into bowls and colour in your choice of food colouring gels.
- Spread random squares of the coloured icing. Once all of the colours have been spread, carefully run an icing spatula around the cake to blend in all of the colours of icing.
- Carefully cut a slice of the cake the cake out, allowing the lollies to spill out.
- Decorate with any remaining lollies as you please.