This is a family favourite recipe.
It is perfect to make with GLUTEN FREE bread and you cannot tell the difference.
- 5 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 5 eggs
- 6 slices bread (gluten free if you choose)
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
- Place 2 cups of milk and sugar in a microwave safe jug and microwave on high for 1 minute. Whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Thoroughly whisk the eggs and vanilla in a large oven proof dish and add 3 cups of cold milk.
- Add the warm milk mixture to the cold milk and egg mixture.
- Layer buttered bread on top of custard mixture in the oven proof dish and allow the bread to soak up the custard.
- Sprinkle with desiccated coconut and bake for 50 minutes. Serve warm.
- Use your favourite jam in place of butter.
- Use raisin toast, fruit loaf or gluten free bread.
- Use lemon butter and coconut in place of butter.
- Add sultanas to custard mixture.
- Prepare and serve in individual ramekins rather than an oven dish.
- Mix up the way you cut the bread – small squares or triangles, crusts on or off.
- Replace coconut with cinnamon and sugar.
- Replace coconut with icing sugar once it comes out of the oven.